Simple (Red) Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until very light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well.
- Make a paste of cocoa and red food coloring; add to creamed mixture.
- Mix salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and buttermilk together.
- Add the flour to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Mix soda and vinegar and gently fold into cake batter. (Don’t beat or stir the batter after this point).
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes completely on wire rack.
- To Make Icing:
- Cook 5 tablespoons flour and milk over low heat till thick, stirring constantly.
- Let it cool completely!
- While mixture is cooling, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add cooled flour mixture and beat until frosting is a good spreading consistency.
- Frost cake layers when completely cool.
Powered by themekiller.com